Good morning from the lone star state! I made it back to Texas! It’s a bit hotter down here, but otherwise Teddy and I are enjoying being back home (Teddy was born in Texas). Teddy is having a ball having more people and another dog around. So far, he’s managed to take the stuffing out of about five of Sophie’s (my parent’s dog) toys in the course of about an hour.
He chooses a new victim every 10 minutes or so. He thinks it’s Christmas because he has 30 new toys at once!
I’ve been busy unpacking and haven’t managed to cook anything yet, but I will soon! In the meantime, I thought I’d share the recipe for one of my latest kitchen ventures before I left:
Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Bread! I originally saw the recipe for this delicious bread on Daily Garnish and have wanted to make it ever since. I am a huge banana bread fan and love the strawberry banana combination in my smoothies. I don’t know why I never thought to add strawberries to banana bread! It is an extremely tasty enhancement to banana bread, and strawberries are still in season for a little while longer!
This makes such a great breakfast and is a nice and healthy snack too. You could adapt any banana bread recipe and add some chopped strawberries, but I went off of Emily’s because she always has great healthy recipes on her blog. I substituted and used all whole wheat flour. Some people don’t like the texture of baked goods that exclusively use whole wheat flour, but I think it’s just as good!
It’s a pretty simple recipe. The hardest part is having the delicious scent of banana bread permeate your house and have to wait 45 minutes until it’s baked to eat it!
First, preheat your oven to 350 and chop your strawberries into bite sized pieces.
Then mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they are fairly smooth.
Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bananas along with the chopped strawberries and stir to combine.
Then add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
Pour into a greased bread loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Bread
Adapted from Daily Garnish
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (loose)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Chop up your strawberries into bite sized pieces.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they are fairly smooth and creamy. Then mix in the applesauce, eggs, vanilla and chopped strawberries.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour into a greased bread loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 45-55 minutes. Mine was done at 45 minutes, so keep an eye on yours! When the bread is done, an inserted toothpick will come out clean.
- Let cool for at least five minutes and enjoy!