Scenes from the weekend:
Another four mile run, lots of Teddy, strawberry lemonade and reading on the porch, good wine and good food! As usual, it went by too quickly. My week ahead is going to be spent working and packing. Come Saturday, we move! Last time we moved, I remember thinking that I never want to have to deal with moving again. And now, I’m going to be moving twice in two months – ugh! I have to remember it will all be worth it in the end!
Moving on to something, well, more simple. After all, some of the best things in life are simple. Pasta is no different. Today’s recipe is one of my favorite go-to recipes when I’m not feeling like being creative in the kitchen and want a quick and delicious meal: Tomato Mozzarella Pasta.
Luke actually came up with this recipe. One night, Luke got home really late from work and I had already eaten dinner. He saw the grape tomatoes and mozzerella pearls in the fridge and decided to add some spices and throw together a simple little pasta ensemble. When he told me to try it, I had low expectations, but it was really good! A few nights later, I asked him to make it again! Since then, it’s become one of our go-to recipes.
I’ve found that adding spicy italian chicken sausage adds great flavor and makes it into a more substantial meal, but it’s delicious on its own too! Feel free to experiment with other spices and add more or less cheese and tomatoes to your taste. Everytime we make this pasta Luke and I both wish there were more tomatoes – so I’d suggest using the whole container, but it’s up to you!
Add this little number to your simple weeknight meal list – you’ll be glad you did!
While the pasta is cooking, just chop the tomatoes in half and heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Then add the tomatoes and spices, stir, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If you’d like to add chicken sausage, cook your chicken sausage while the tomatoes are cooking – about 4 minutes per side over medium heat.
When the pasta, tomatoes and chicken sausage are ready to go, throw them all into the pasta pot and stir to combine. Add the mozzarella balls, stir and watch them melty into gooey deliciousness!
Serve and enjoy!
Simple Tomato Mozzarella Pasta
- 2 cups orrecchiette pasta
- 1 container of grape tomatoes (10 oz)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper *
- 1/2 containter (about 5 oz) pearl mozzarella balls
- 4 spicy italian chicken sausages (optional)
*Note – I like things spicy, so if you don’t I would scale back on the crushed red pepper.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half and heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the tomatoes and spices and stir to combine. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, cook the chicken sausage over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side. When done, slice it into bite sized pieces.
- When the tomatoes, pasta and chicken sausage are done, throw them all into the pasta pot and add the mozzarella balls. Stir everything to combine. The mozzerella will melt due to the heat of the other ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy!