Happy Halloween! It’s going to be a bit chilly for trick-or-treaters tonight. Since this is our first Halloween in our new house, I’m not sure how many kids to expect, but hopefully we get a few!
Until this morning’s blast of coldness, the weather has been pretty perfect here lately – crisp mornings and beautiful cool afternoons. The trees are getting closer to peaking and I’ve been going on as many hikes and runs as possible!
I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to these beautiful fall colors!
As the chilly mornings are becoming routine, I wanted to share my staple fall and winter breakfast with y’all: Three Minute Microwave Banana Oatmeal.
It’s not the prettiest breakfast, but it’s healthy and delicious! I first read about microwaving old-fashioned oats to make amazing oatmeal over on Fannetastic Food. The concept is extremely simple. All you do is mash up a very ripe banana, add equal parts old-fashioned oats and milk of your choice, and microwave for three minutes, stirring half-way through. Then you add whatever you want to customize your oats. My favorite combination is adding a couple tablespoons of pumpkin butter and yogurt, a teaspoon of chia seeds, and a few dashes of cinnamon. Other great toppings and mix-ins are nut butters, fruit, raisins, honey, nuts, seeds, or even nutella or cocoa powder if you’re in a chocolate mood. The possibilities are endless! And these oats are truly so easy and quick to make – there’s no excuse not to have a healthy breakfast!
Three Minute Microwave Banana Oatmeal
• 1 ripe banana (the riper, the better!)
• ½ cup old-fashioned oats
• ½ cup of milk of your choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
• Toppings & mix-ins of your choice! (mine is 2 tbsp. pumpkin butter, 2 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt, 1 tsp chia seeds, a couple dashes of cinnamon)
1) Slice your banana into small pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl and mash it as much as you can.
2) Add the old-fashioned oats on top of the banana.
3) Add the milk on top of the oats.
4) Microwave for three minutes, stirring halfway through.
5) Stir in the toppings & mix-ins of your choice and enjoy!