I had a really bad workout today. I wasn’t feeling great, my shin splint started getting way too painful, and I didn’t get to run on my treadmill. I hate it when someone else is on my favorite treadmill! (Each treadmill is different in our gym.) So, I ran for 10 minutes and then gave up and focused on strength training instead. I’m glad I did something!
If you know me, you know I love all things Texas! This is too cute. It would be great for serving things like cheese, and it would make great decoration propped up or hanging on a wall when not in use. If you aren’t from the great state of Texas, they have other states and countries, too. Mom, if you’re reading, Easter is coming up – hint hint :).
Last night I made a very tasty pizza for dinner. Pizza truly is one of my favorite things to make. I love trying out new flavor combinations and getting creative with my pizzas. After getting the idea for the sauce from here, I created this Rustic Pizza with Sweet Potato Sauce.
I played off of another pizza I like to make that is topped with goat cheese, mozzarella, turkey bacon/sausage and caramelized onions and swapped my usual butternut squash with kale, and an olive oil sauce with this sweet potato “sauce”. The combination was wonderful! You have to give it a try some time!
First, bake your sweet potato at 400 for 45-60 minutes.
While the potato is cooking, caramelize your onion.
Cook your turkey bacon.
And sauté your chopped kale.
When the potato is done, scoop it out from the skin, mash it as best you can with a fork, and then add the milk and salt and use an immersion blender to smooth it out and make a creamy sauce.
Take your pizza pan out of the oven. Then stretch out your dough, oil the crust with olive oil (only the outer edge) and use your hands to rub the sweet potato sauce all over the pizza.
Then add the rest of your toppings – caramelized onions first, then goat cheese, chopped bacon, mozzarella and kale.
Bake it at 475 for 16 minutes. Then let it cool for 5 minutes.
Rustic Pizza with Sweet Potato Sauce
- 1 ball of whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 tbsp 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup of kale, stems removed and chopped
- 3 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced (about 8 oz)
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp olive oil
1. Let dough rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to using it.
2. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Bake a sweet potato in the oven at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour. You can also microwave it, boil it, however you want to get it cooked!
4. In the meantime, slice your onion and cook it on an oiled pan with about 1 tsp of sugar for 30-45 minutes on low heat.
5. While the onion and potato are cooking, cook your bacon over medium high heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
6. Also chop your kale and sauté it over medium low heat for a couple minutes, until wilted.
7. Slice your mozzarella and cooked bacon so that all of your toppings are ready.
8. When the potato is cooked through remove from oven.
9. Increase the temperature to 475 and put you pizza pan inside to preheat it.
10. Scoop out the sweet potato from the skin and mash it in a small bowl with a fork.
11. Add the milk and salt to the mashed potato and use an immersion blender to smooth it out.
12. When oven is preheated to 475, remove your pan and stretch out your pizza dough to fit the pan.
13. Spread olive oil over the outer crust with your fingers.
14. Using your hands (or a spoon if you choose), spread the sweet potato sauce all over the pizza dough.
15. Then add the caramelized onions, goat cheese, chopped bacon, sliced mozzarella and kale.
16. Bake at 475 for 16 minutes.
17. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!