Happy Monday! We had a great fall & fun-filled weekend in North Carolina. First we drove to Asheville to enjoy the foliage, hiking and great food. I crossed “driving the Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall” off my bucket list – and, yes, it was as pretty as people say!
We hiked to gorgeous waterfalls at Dupont State Forest.
When we returned to Winston, we took off on another hike at Hanging Rock State Park.
And we ended the weekend with a trip to a local corn maze!
The weather was crisp and perfect. We had a quintessential fall weekend!
And now let me introduce you to my favorite new fall recipe: Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Apple and Fall Vegetables.
When I first saw this recipe on another food blog, I really wanted to try it out, but it looked a little complicated to make. I found that, besides all of the chopping, it came together fairly easily. The sweet apples and salty bacon balance out the rich flavor in the chicken, squash and sweet potato. And the smell while this is cooking… amazing! I’ve made this recipe twice in the last couple of weeks and it will definitely be a part of our regular rotation!
Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Apple and Fall Vegetables
• 5 bone-in chicken thighs, skin on (about 1.5 lbs)
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
• 3 Tablespoons butter, divided
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• ½ lb white mushrooms, sliced
• 3 slices of turkey bacon, cut into ¼ inch pieces
• 2 large sprigs of rosemary, plus more for garnish
• ½ cup red wine
• splash of chicken broth (optional, I just thought mine needed more liquid)
• 1 sweet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 2.5 cups butternut squash, peeled cut into 1-inch pieces
• 3 small apples, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
1) Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
2) Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
3) Add the bacon, onions, mushrooms, garlic and rosemary sprigs to the pot and cook until onions are translucent.
4) Remove the bacon and vegetables from the pan and set aside.
5) Increase the heat to medium high and add two Tablespoons of butter to the pot. Brown the chicken on both sides.
6) Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
7) Pour off excess fat and deglaze the pan with the red wine.
8) Lower the heat to medium low and return the bacon, mushroom and onion mixture to the pot. Mix in the potatoes, squash, and apples. You can add a splash of chicken broth at this point, if necessary.
9) Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and cover. Cook on medium low for about 45 minutes until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
10) Remove the lid and brown the chicken directly under the broiler for a couple of minutes before serving.