This morning, I changed up my bootcamp workout a bit. Not the moves – the music. After reading this hilarious article about boy bands in the ’90s, I decided to get my *Nsync on while working out (I usually listen to the same 30 songs on my iPod shuffle!).
Oh gosh did the music bring back some memories! Looking back, I can see why my brother made fun of me for being in love with *Nsync and Justin Timberlake. Um, matching overalls?
And I don’t even know what Justin is wearing here, but I’m sure at the time I thought it was pretty awesome. I remember telling my brother that he just didn’t understand how talented Justin was. Well, it definitely takes some talent to be able to go out and perform wearing that!
My best friend and I were some of the most hardcore *Nsync fans you could find. We would defend them against the Backstreet Boys with all of our little hearts (and yes, I still think *Nsync is superior!). We went to Catholic school and on our “non-uniform” days we sported nothing other than our matching *Nsync concert t-shirts. I’m pretty sure every single person who signed our middle school yearbooks wrote something about our love for *Nsync (and probably how weird we were!). I wish I could find the picture of us before our first *Nsync concert with me wearing my hot pink pleather pants (remember pleather!?) and sparkly tank top. Oh yeah, we were pretty cool.
And I might have been in love with the guy with ramen noodle hair, but at least I was wise enough to choose a straight member of *Nsync. My best friend was in love with Lance. I still remember the day we found out he was gay. Tragic.
I’ll leave you with this fabulous picture:
My boys were not afraid to be doused in glitter! By the way, all of the pictures were from this article, and you should really check it out if you want a few more good laughs!
I could talk about *Nsync a lot more, but I’ll move on to food! Yesterday, I gave a brief glimpse of these delicious Quinoa Burgers I made for dinner.
I used to think veggie burgers sounded incredibly gross, but I’ve made a few different kinds this year that are super tasty. This might be my favorite so far. It’s a couple notches above the Beet Burgers that I made a few weeks ago.
In addition, these are much easier to make than some of the other veggie burgers I’ve tried out. The only difficult part I encountered was fitting it all in the processor. I would suggest using a larger food processor if you have one. We have a small 4 cup processor and we had to make this batch little by little to make it fit!
Here’s the simple step by step:
First, chop your veggies while you’re cooking your quinoa (quinoa takes about 15 minutes to make).
Then chop up the carrots in the food processor.
After that, add all of the rest of the ingredients to the processor and pulse until everything is well combined (it can be a little chunky).
Form the mixture into patties and cook them on an oiled grill pan (or grill) over medium heat.
We cooked them for 8-10 minutes on each side.
Serve with your favorite condiments and enjoy! (the pink is pickled onions)
Adapted from Can You Stay For Dinner
Makes about 6 burgers.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, cooked
- 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 15 oz can white beans (I used Great Northern)
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3/8 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cumin (these had a strong cumin flavor, so use less if you dislike cumin!)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- a few dashes of pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, chop the carrots and scallions.
- Add the carrots to your food processor (use a bigger one!) and chop until the carrots are in small pieces.
- Add the quinoa, beans, scallions, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, salt and pepper to the food processor and pulse until well combined. It’s okay for the mixture to be a little chunky.
- Heat an oiled grill pan (or grill) to medium heat and form patties with the mixture.
- Cook the patties for about 8-10 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite burger condiments and enjoy!