Good morning! Fall has officially arrived here in Winston-Salem and I am enjoying every second of it. Crisp walks with Teddy, a 65 degree house full of fresh air, and amazing running weather! If you want to appreciate fall in a whole new way, become a runner. There’s just nothing like fall running after a long hot summer.
The other staple of fall is, of course, pumpkin. I realize that the last recipe I posted was pumpkin based, and the next one may be too… ’tis the season! If you’re not a fall loving pumpkin fanatic, you could skip out on this pumpkin sauce pizza, but you would miss out on an amazing medley of flavors.
The star of the pizza is the amazing pumpkin cream sauce. It’s a simple stovetop blend of butter, garlic, milk, pumpkin, goat cheese, and pumpkin pie spice. It’s basically a fancy white pizza sauce, and it’s delicious. Leftover sauce can be used on pasta – just add a little more milk. This sauce along with a few mushroom and shallots over homemade gnocchi is fabulous (even if the picture isn’t!).
The caramelized onions, bacon, sage, and mozzarella complement the slight sweetness to the pumpkin sauce perfectly, resulting in a mouthwatering pizza. And because you’re making this pizza from scratch and adding pumpkin to the sauce, it’s fairly healthy compared to most pizzas. So go ahead and indulge!
Pumpkin Sauce Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Bacon & Sage
• 2 onions, sliced + 2 tbsp. of olive oil
• Pizza dough
• 1 tbsp. butter
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• ½ cup milk
• ¾ cup pumpkin
• 3 oz goat cheese
• a couple dashes of pumpkin pie spice
• 2-3 slices of bacon (or turkey bacon)
• a few sage leaves & a tbsp. of olive oil
• 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced
• salt and pepper to taste
1) Caramelize the onions over medium heat until golden and browned, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
2) Cook bacon as directed and chop up into small pieces. Set aside.
3) Fry sage leaves in a tablespoon of olive oil or butter over medium heat for about a minute. Set aside.
4) Preheat your oven to 475.
5) In a saucepan, melt 1 tbsp. butter over medium low heat and add the garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring to prevent the garlic from burning.
6) Reduce the heat to low and add the milk, pumpkin, goat cheese, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir over low heat for a couple minutes, until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7) Assemble the pizza. Form a crust from the ball of pizza dough and place on a cast iron pizza pan (or whatever pan you have available). Spoon the sauce over the crust (you will likely have leftover sauce, which you can save and use on pasta!). Add the caramelized onions, followed by the bacon pieces and mozzarella.
8) Bake at 475 for about 12 minutes, until the crust is golden (this may vary depending on the dough you use).
9) Remove from oven, top with the fried sage leaves, and let cool for a couple minutes.
10) Slice and enjoy!