Race day is tomorrow! The weather seems to be turning to my favor. 58 and partly cloudy? Sounds perfect! Fingers crossed that doesn’t change by the morning!
I’ve run 3.1 miles on the treadmill countless times. I’ve run 3.1 miles outside a few times, generally with a better time every run. Regardless, my excitement is turning into doubts and nervousness. What if I can’t get enough sleep tonight? What if I eat the wrong thing in the morning before the race? What if the race is too hilly for me? What if what if what if!
I do have my goals, but I’ve decided to be happy with whatever my time is tomorrow. A few months ago I couldn’t run for more than a minute or two without taking a walk break, so this will be an accomplishment no matter what. And your first race counts as a PR regardless of the time, right?
Today I’m going to make a race day playlist for my iPod, go pick up my race packet, and try to ignore all my doubts about tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will do the best I can. I’m ready to run!
For now, I’m going to leave you with my latest pizza creation: Healthier Hawaiian Pizza!
I don’t eat Hawaiian pizza too often, but every time that I do, I remember how much I love it! This was my first time making my own Hawaiian pizza. I made it a bit healthier by using turkey bacon instead of Canadian bacon, adding tons of pineapple and adding two extra veggies – caramelized onions and butternut squash! It was a delicious combination!
Here’s the step by step:
First, chop up your butternut squash and roast it in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes, until tender. When the squash is done, turn the oven up to 475 and preheat your pizza pan.
In the meantime, cook your bacon (and your caramelized onions if you need to).
And chop your pineapple and mozzarella.
When the squash is done and the pizza pan is preheated, begin assembling the pizza. Stretch out the dough to fit the pan. First add the sauce, caramelized onions and squash. Then add the pineapple and mozzarella. Oil the crust with olive oil for a crispy crust. Bake at 475 for 16 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling.
Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Healthier Hawaiian Pizza
- 1 ball of whole wheat pizza dough
- 1.5 cups of butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, sliced and caramelized
- 12 slices of turkey bacon
- 2 cups of pineapple, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- pizza sauce (blend roasted zucchini into for an extra veggie!)
- Preheat your oven to 400. Cut the butternut squash into 1 inch cubes and roast it in the oven for about 30 minutes (flipping halfway through), until tender.
- In the meantime, caramelize your onion (we happened to already have caramelized onion on hand).
- Cook your turkey bacon according to package instructions. Once cooked, tear it into smaller pieces (optional).
- Slice your pineapple and mozzarella.
- When the squash is done cooking, turn the heat up to 475 and preheat your pizza pan.
- When the pizza pan is preheated, stretch out your dough to fit the pan. Then add the sauce, followed by the caramelized onions, turkey bacon, butternut squash, pineapple and mozzarella. Spread olive oil over the outer edge of the dough for a crispy crust.
- Bake at 475 for 16 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!