I started off my Monday with a good 32 minute run with no walk breaks!
Since I finished my current book, The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes yesterday (see my review here) I think I am going to simultaneously keep reading the Maze Runner Series and start reading Born to Run again. The death of the legendary runner Micah True (whom the book Born to Run was based on) made me want to start reading that book again. I started it a few months ago and remember liking it but for some reason I stopped reading it. I’m pretty confident that reading it will keep me motivated to run . The sudden death of Micah True is a tragic story, but he at least he died doing what he loved – running.
In other news, I finally found Ben and Jerry’s Greek Froyo in the grocery store yesterday!
Luke and I both thought it was pretty good. I still hesitate paying the price of Ben and Jerry’s little cartons though, especially considering I eat one of them in two servings. Luke never fails to comment on how big my ice cream bowl is. If only he knew how much ice cream I used to eat! My Mom is probably the only one who can attest to that. I still find it strange that I ate ice cream every single night for 20 years and then just kind of stopped. It’s funny how tastes change!
Since it is Monday, I wanted to share one of my “go to” recipes when I don’t want to put too much effort into a meal but, as usual, I want something very tasty. My Effortless Baked Asian Chicken is perfect for those days when you just don’t have too much energy to put into cooking.
It takes less than 5 minutes to make the marinade and chop up some carrots and onion. Then all you have to do is cover the chicken with the marinade and put it in the fridge. When you’re ready to cook, add the carrots and bake it all at 425 for 40 minutes and you’re done! You’ll probably want to cook some rice or quinoa while the chicken is baking, but that’s pretty easy to do too.
Just chop up your onions and grate your ginger for the marinade (you can chop carrots now too if you want to have them ready to go later).
Then mix together your marinade.
Put your chicken in a baking dish, pour the marinade over, cover and refrigerate for an hour (or all day).
When your ready to cook, add the rest of the onions and the carrots to the baking dish and bake at 425 for 30 minutes, turning once and then another 10 minutes.
Then serve and enjoy!
Effortless Baked Asian Chicken
Adapted from AllRecipes
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Sambal Oelek Chili Paste
- Chop your onion and grate your ginger.
- Peel and chop your carrots and set aside for later (in the refrigerator if need be).
- Mix together the soy sauce, honey, chili paste, ginger, garlic and 1/3 of the chopped onion in a small bowl.
- Put the chicken in a small baking pan and pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Marinade the chicken, covered, in the fridge for an hour, flipping once. You can also prepare it in the morning and marinate it all day.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425.
- Add the carrots and the rest of the onions to the chicken and stir together to coat everything with the marinade.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, then flip the chicken and bake for another 10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!