Teddy reminded me this weekend that he is almost out of dog treats!
We wouldn’t want this little guy to be without, so I decided to cook up a new batch this afternoon.
After I made my first batch of dog treats when Teddy was a few months old, I realized that it is much cheaper and much healthier if I make dog treats myself. It’s just like baking a batch of human cookies, and in making them from scratch I can be sure I’m giving Teddy the most nutritious treats that I can.
These particular treats include two of Teddy’s favorite foods – bananas and peanut butter! He will do just about anything for a banana, and likewise, he will do just about anything for one of these treats!
So if you really love your little guy, give him some healthy dog treats! Just follow these simple steps:
Mix your wet ingredients.
Add your dry ingredients and mix.
Roll out your dough on floured surface.
Cut out your desired shapes.
Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
You’ve got healthy treats for your little guy!
Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats – Teddy Approved!
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (usually in baking aisle at supermarket)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp canola oil or cooking spray (for oiling cookie sheet)
1) Preheat oven to 300. Mix together egg, peanut butter, honey, and mashed banana in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine (small pieces of banana still visible are fine).
2) Add flour and wheat germ to mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add additional flour, if necessary, to form cookie dough.
3) Roll dough out onto floured surface, about a 1/4 inch thick.
4) Cut dough into desired shapes with a cookie cutter.
5) Place shaped cookies on an oiled baking sheet.
6) Bake for 30 minutes, or until dried and golden brown. Thicker treats will take longer.
7) Ask your dog to do a trick and let him enjoy this nutritious treat!