Tonight we’re off the the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to see one of my favorite bands – the Zac Brown Band! I’ve never seen them live before, so I am very excited! I’ve also heard that there is a new delicacy at the rodeo this year: fried cookie dough. I am on a mission to find it tonight! I think it’s safe to say tonight’s dinner will not be healthy, but it will be good.
Before I head out I wanted to share a recipe I recently made – Delicious Dark Chocolate Cranberry Quinoa Bars.
I got the recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, Fannetastic Food. It intrigued me because of the use of quinoa and the fact that the bars were gluten-free. I was surprised at how delicious they turned out! And my Dad was too!
If you have gluten intolerance and want a yummy treat, or if you just want a healthy high protein snack, give these a try! They’re not too hard to make.
Just mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Then mix your wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
Mix your dry and wet ingredients together.
Add your chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350.
Test them with a toothpick to make sure they’re cooked.
Delicious Dark Chocolate Cranberry Quinoa Bars
Adapted from Fannetastic Food
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1) Cook your quinoa, unless you already have leftover quinoa. Let it cool.
2) Preheat oven to 350.
3) Mix your quinoa, flour, brown sugar, ground flax and cinnamon in large bowl.
4) Mix your milk, egg and vanilla.
5) Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredient mixture and stir to combine.
6) Add the dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries and stir to combine.
7) Pour batter into a baking pan (I used at 8×8) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.