Before I share my latest snack addiction…
I wanted to give a little running update. When I started running, I suffered from a really bad shin splint on my right leg. Over the last few months, it’s gotten a lot better. In case anyone else has the same problem, I wanted to let you know what has worked for me to manage my shin splints.
- First, I scaled back my running to every other day. I was trying to run too often, too soon and my leg couldn’t handle it. Even now, if I run back to back days, my shin splint really flares up.
- I finally got fitted for good running shoes. When I went to my local running store, they said I overpronate and put me in a pair of Asics GT 2170s to provide me with medium support. They’ve been great so far and I think I’ve actually noticed that I can run more without pain in my shin. Everyone’s feet are different and the same shoes won’t work for every person.
- I took the advice of a lot of my fellow healthy living bloggers and bought some Zensah Compression sleeves. I wear them when I run and for a few hours after I run. I think they provide my shin a little more support and help with recovery.
- I use a foam roller after I run. This helps stretch my muscles and loosen everything up after a run.
- Lastly, I try to ice my leg after my runs when I can.
I hope those tips help you if you ever suffer from shin splints. If you have any other tips, I’d love to hear them!
Now let me tell you about one of my new favorite snacks – Crunchy, Addictive Zucchini Crisps! They taste a lot like potato chips, but they’re much healthier. They’re super easy to make too – just cut them up, throw some olive oil and salt on them, and roast them for a while. That’s it! The only downside to them is you can’t make too many at once unless you use multiple pans, and trust me, you’ll eat them up pretty quickly! I was really surprised at how good they were!
Here’s the step by step:
Chop up your zucchini.
Put them on an oiled baking sheet and top them with a brush of olive oil and sprinkle of garlic salt.
Crunchy, Addictive Zucchini Crisps
Adapted from The Tasty Bits
- 1 zucchini (unless you want to make multiple batches!)
- Approx. 1 tbsp olive oil to brush over the zucchini
- Approx. 2 tsp garlic salt to sprinkle over the zucchini
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Chop up your zucchini into thin slices, about the thickness of a quarter. You can use a mandolin for this too.
- Put your zucchini on an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the zucchini with olive oil (you can spray it on too if you have a can or a misto).
- Sprinkle garlic salt over the tops of the zucchini (amount of salt to your taste).
- Bake at 275 for about an hour. Check it after 45 minutes. It may take longer for some than others, depending on your oven and how thickly you cut the zucchini.