Growing up, I went through food phases where I would basically eat one thing for dinner every night for weeks on end (yes, I was pretty strange!). Most of my phases were some variation of bread and cheese – grilled cheese, bagel bites, mozzarella sticks etc. One phase I went through was eating frozen chicken taquitos. It may have actually been one of my more healthier phases when you compare it to the rest! Little did I know, making your own chicken taquitos is not only healthier, but so much tastier! (Duh!)
Last night, we needed a quick dinner, so I decided to make these delicious taquitos. They’re really easy to whip up. The hardest part is shredding the chicken (which I hate!). They can also be frozen so that you have dinner ready to pop in the oven and done in 20 minutes on a busy night. Kids will love ’em too! Who wouldn’t love a cheesy bit of chicken taquito?! I also hid a little spinach in them :).
Got 30 minutes? Get cooking!
First chop up your spinach, green onions and lime and shred your chicken. Preheat your oven to 425.
Mix your spices and salt in a large bowl.
Then add your salsa, softened cream cheese, green onions, chopped spinach and lime juice and stir to combine.
Add your chicken and cheese and stir to combine again.
Spoon the mixture into the tortillas.
Tightly roll the tortillas and place them seam side down on a greased baking sheet (I only cooked some and froze the others).
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes and you’re done!
Crowd-Pleasing Chicken Taquitos
Adapted from Pink Parsley
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- whole wheat flour tortillas (6-8 depending on the size, can also use corn)
- 3 tbsp scallions, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a couple dashes of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz cream cheese (softened by microwaving 20 seconds)
- 1/3 cup of salsa verde
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Shred your cooked chicken if you haven’t already.
- Chop up your scallions and spinach. Also grate your cheddar if you need to.
- Mix your chile powder, cumin, cayenne, onion powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Microwave your cream cheese for 20-30 seconds to soften.
- Add the cream cheese, salsa, scallions and spinach to the spices and stir to combine.
- Add the shredded chicken and cheddar and stir to combine.
- Spoon the chicken mixture onto a tortilla (about 2-3 tbsp). Tightly roll the tortilla and place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Repeat until all of the mixture is gone. *If you want to freeze any of the taquitos, do so at this point. Just put them on a baking sheet in the freezer, and once they are frozen, wrap them in plastic wrap. When you are ready to eat, bake them at 425 for 20-25 minutes.*
- Place the taquitos in the oven and bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
- Top with salsa or hot sauce and enjoy!