Spring is finally beginning to show itself again in New Hampshire!
It’s supposed to be a beautiful 60 degree day today, so I’m going to take my run outside onto a trail this afternoon. When running outside, I think the perfect temperature is 55-65 degrees. I’m hoping the ideal weather will lead to a great run!
Unfortunately, I’m leaving this little guy at home because he sniffs too much and I don’t want to be slowed down today.
He’s pretty good at making me feel guilty for leaving him! And yes, he is really starting to look in need of a haircut. We were thinking of asking the groomer to do this:
Teddy isn’t too sure if he approves of the camel cut .
Moving on to another delicious new recipe! A couple nights ago, I decided to try out Julie’s Squash Casserole. I’ve never been a huge casserole fan, but the ingredients in this one all sounded pretty good, so I gave this Crispy Summer Squash Casserole a shot!
It was surprisingly very tasty! It makes a great breakfast dish too (especially when you add turkey bacon like I did). Luke took some of our leftovers, added eggs and made a scrumptious breakfast burrito.
As usual, it’s pretty easy to throw together.
Just chop up your onion and chicken sausage.
Cook the onions, chicken sausage and garlic over medium heat, for about 6 minutes until the onions are soft.
In the meantime, cook a few pieces of bacon over medium high heat. When they’re done, chop them up and throw them in with the onions.
Also chop up your summer squash.
When the onions are cooked, preheat your oven to 350, add the squash to the onions and cook for another 10 minutes, until squash is tender.
Then mix in the yogurt, cheese and spices and stir to combine.
Then put it in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Let it cool for a couple minutes.
Then serve and enjoy!
Crispy Summer Squash Casserole
Adapted from Peanut Butter Fingers
- 3 chicken sausage links (about 6 oz)
- 3 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 yellow squash, sliced (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 6 0z Chobani plain greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp paprika
- Chop up your onion and chicken sausage.
- Cook your onion, chicken sausage and minced garlic in an oiled pan over medium heat for about 6 minutes, until onion is soft.
- While that is cooking, chop up your squash and begin cooking your turkey bacon on an oiled pan over medium high heat.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- When the onion is soft, add the squash and cook for another 10 minutes, until squash is tender. When bacon is done, chop it up and add it to the squash mixture.
- When squash is tender, add the yogurt, cheese and spices and stir to combine.
- Put the mixture in a baking dish (coated with cooking spray or oil) and sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until the breadcrumbs begin to brown on top.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!