With spring, comes asparagus. I have always turned my nose up at asparagus. But, since it seems to be the trendy superfood of spring, I decided to give transforming asparagus into a tasty veggie a try. Low and behold, it worked!
I’m not really sure who came up with this recipe because it’s been posted (and not sourced) all over the internet, but it was quite delicious! I think the trick (other than coating it in delicious cheese and bread crumbs) is to cook the asparagus long enough so that it’s crispy.
Our oven has been turning off randomly lately (without warning), so I’ve been having to bake things a lot longer than instructions call for. Because of this, I ended up trying an asparagus before it had crisped up, and I hated it! I thought for sure that the recipe was going to be a failure. But, I decided to keep “playing” with my oven to make it stay on longer (it ended up taking me like an hour and half!), and finally the oven worked and the asparagus cooked to a golden crispiness.
I took another bite and I was immediately sold. Yum! Then, it occurred to me that it tasted somewhat like a french fry, so I dipped it in ketchup. Double yum! Next time I make these, I’m going to try all sorts of sauces with them.
If you’re anything like me, you’ll be weary of attempting to make asparagus delicious. I mean, it’s asparagus (ew!). But I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
First – the fun part! Snap off the ends of the asparagus. (I’d never done this before and thought it was very entertaining!)
Then, create your assembly line: one plate of egg whites, another plate of the breadcrumb, flour, parmesan and garlic salt mixture, and a greased baking pan at the end. Dip each asparagus in the egg whites, then drench them in the bread crumb mixture and place them on the baking pan.
Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes until they golden and crispy. If they aren’t, bake longer! The crispiness is essential!
They’ll look similar to this when done.
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease a baking pan.
- Snap the ends off of the asparagus. If you are like me and don’t know how to do this, hold each end of the asparagus and snap the thicker end – wherever it snaps off is how much needs to come off! It’s fun .
- Put your egg whites on one plate.
- On another plate, mix the breadcrumbs, flour, parmesan and garlic salt together.
- Take each asparagus and coat it with the egg whites first, then the bread crumb mixture and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crispy. The asparagus should shrink up a bit too.
- Enjoy! Feel free to dip them in ketchup or another sauce of your choosing, or simply have them on their own.