This morning I was reading “10 Ways to Sneak in a Workout” from Fitness Magazine when I came across tip number 8: a recommendation to do lunges and squats while waiting in line at the store. I thought the article as a whole was useful, but can you imagine doing squats while you’re waiting to checkout?! Anyone ever tried this? I think it would be pretty hilarious to do once, even if only to watch peoples’ reactions around you! It reminds me of that segment of the Ellen DeGeneres Show called “Dance Dare” where she dares people to start randomly dancing places and video tape it. Maybe I should call her up with a new pitch – “Squat Dare” :).
Yesterday, I had one amazing success in the kitchen and one failure. My failure was eggplant meatballs. Luke and I had made them before, but I guess I used a different recipe or forgot some crucial step because they did not turn out. It’s such a disappointment when you spend a lot of time cooking something (and photographing it all!) and it just doesn’t work. Oh well. At least these were a success:
Chocolate Nutella Granola Bars! So. Good. Julie over at Peanut Butter Fingers sparked my interest in attempting granola bars when she posted a recipe yesterday. I took my Nutella Granola, added some almonds and chocolate chips (and a few other things), and made some of the most delicious granola bars ever. I had never made granola bars until yesterday, but I will definitely be making them again!
Here’s how you make them:
First, chop up your almonds.
Then mix your oats, flour and almonds in a large bowl.
Microwave your honey and nutella and then mix in your beaten egg in a small bowl.
Then add your wet ingredients to the dry and stir together.
Add your chocolate chips and stir again.
Put the mixture in a greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes (next time I’ll use an 8×8!).
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Then continue to cool in the refrigerator for another 45 minutes.
Slice and enjoy!
Chocolate Nutella Granola Bars
Makes about 10 bars, depending on how you cut them.
- 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (*or substitute gluten free flour)
- 1/2 cup of whole almonds, chopped
- 6 tbsp nutella
- 5 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease an 8×8 baking pan.
- Chop up the almonds in a food processor.
- Mix the oats, flour and almonds in a large bowl.
- Beat an egg.
- Microwave the nutella and honey in a small bowl for 25 seconds.
- Add the beaten egg to the nutella/honey mixture and stir until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix together.
- Put the mixture in a grease 8×8 baking pan and bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, and then another 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Slice into bars and enjoy!