Every time I’ve been going on a run lately, I haven’t really wanted to go because I’m exhausted from being bored at work all day (I know, tough job!). But then every morning and all day long, I’m wishing I were running. I sit in an office chair all.day.long. Running at the end of the day is like freedom! I just have to remember that when I get home and dread putting my workout clothes on :). I have to think of it like this:
Because, really, that’s what it should feel like after being cooped up all day!
Moving onto food! A few weeks ago, I saw this recipe for Avocado Mac ‘N Cheese and I was intrigued. I loved the avocado pasta I made a couple months ago, and this recipe basically takes that up a notch by adding a bit of cheese sauce. I am a huge cheese lover, so I was pretty sure I’d be a fan!
A fan I was! This was a delicious Mac ‘N Cheese recipe. The avocado’s creaminess takes the place of the heavy cream that many Mac ‘N Cheese recipes call for. I also loved the hint of spice from the pepper jack cheese and the slight lime flavor that comes through. It’s almost a bit of a Mexican twist on Mac ‘N Cheese!
The best part? It can be whipped up in about 20 minutes! Another great recipe to add to my quick weeknight meal list!
While your pasta is cooking, throw the avocado, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Then melt the butter in a saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Then add the milk and stir until well combined. Finally, gradually add the cheese until it is all mixed in and forms a smooth and creamy cheese sauce.
When the pasta is done, drain it and place it in a large bowl. Add the avocado sauce to the pasta and stir until well combined.
Then add the cheese sauce and stir until well combined again. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Avocado Mac ‘N Cheese
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta of your choice (I wouldn’t use spaghetti noodles)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp salt)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package directions.
- In the meantime, place the avocado, lime juice, garlic salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Whisk in the flour. Then add the milk and stir until well combined. Gradually add in the shredded cheeses until everything is well combined and you have a creamy cheese sauce.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and place it in a large bowl. Add the avocado sauce and stir until well combined. Then add the cheese sauce and stir until well combined again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!